Online Shopping and Delivery
- One of the very cool things about living here is how common it is to order you groceries online & then have it delivered right to your kitchen counter. Several stores in town offer this service: Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s. All that is required is signing up on their website. There is a small delivery charge for this service (approx. £3-5), but oftentimes you can find “free delivery” offers on-line if your order is over a certain amount.
Other Grocery Stores
- Farm Foods (specialize in frozen foods at low prices)
Health Food Stores
- Grampian Health Foods – On Market Street. Very helpful staff. They will order food for you if they do not stock it. They sell a large jar of apple puree that is similar to all natural applesauce you find in the US. They have a large selection of gluten free flours and dairy free milk alternatives. This is also a great place to buy beans (such as black beans) that you may have a hard time finding other places. They also stock many dried fruits, nuts, organic products, and vitamins/minerals/supplements.
- Holland & Barrett – There is one near Marks & Spencer’s and one in Trinity Centre Mall, near the mall entrance of Primark. They offer similar products as Grampian.
- Marks and Spencer
- John Lewis
- £Strecher (Locations-Union Street and Great Northern Road)
- Au Naturale (Home furnishings and gifts) (Location-Great Northern Road)
- John Lewis
- Marks and Spencer
- British & International Sailor’s Society
- New Hope Charity Shop
- British Heart Foundation
- Barnabas Fund
- NCT Nearly New Sale – Held at Harlaw Academy every few months on a Saturday at 2pm. Admission is £1 and items for sale include children’s and maternity clothing, toys, bedding, buggies, cots, gates, etc.
- Salvation Army
- Cancer Research UK
- John Lewis – large selection of knitting supplies, wool, accessories
- Redline – limited selection of knitting supplies, wool, accessories
- Hobby Craft
- VSA at Gallowgate
- British Heart Foundation on Union
- Salvation Army (off of George Street on John Street)
- Bernardo’s (off of George Street on St. Andrews Street)
- Freecycle – Aberdeen Freecycle is a part of a bigger non-profit organization, The Freecycle Network, that is committed to keeping the landfills down and offering a service to those in the community. If you have something that you’d like to “recycle” rather than throw away or if you find yourself in need of something in particular and you can’t afford to buy it new, this is a great option. Everything offered on Freecycle is absolutely free. To sign up, simply go to their website. You will get regular e-mails with postings from people in your area. You may post a message for either an “OFFER”, a “WANTED” or “TAKEN”. The only stipulation after first joining is that you must “offer” something & have it approved by the moderator before you are allowed to place a “wanted” ad. You can, however, respond to other offers immediately after signing up. The good items go extremely quickly, so make sure to stay on your toes! And remember, one person’s junk is another man’s treasure. You may be surprised what you are able to find on Freecycle! Whoever is doing the “receiving” is usually expected to pick the item(s) up, however, sometimes the one offering is willing to drop it by for you.
- Scot Ads – An on-line website and newspaper advertising items being sold at reduced prices. Or sell your unwanted items for free if they are under £50.
- Small Ads (through the University) — You have to use your university log-in to subscribe to this group similar to Freecycle and Scot Ads. Some items are offered for free, and the rest are usually sold at reasonable prices. Advice can also be sought on here (i.e. Does anyone know of a good car mechanic?, etc). Sometimes accommodations are advertised through the group too.
- Aberdeen market – Held the last and first Saturdays of the month on Belmont Street. The stands change somewhat but you can typically find fresh, locally grown produce, seafood, meat, honey, wine, bread, fudge, sweets, knit items, jewelery, etc.
- Thanestone boot sale – Held every Sunday.